Sunday, June 25, 2023

June 24 - L'll Tour & Kearney Motorcycle Show



Round Trip: 88.3 mi/142.10 km

Today is a motorcycle show in Kearney that we found announced in The GNA (The Great North Arrow)  - Great newspaper for events in our area and it has a lot of funny posts too!

So this morning I quickly plotted out a route so that it would bring us back into Kearney so that we could check out the motorcycle show being held in Kearney. It was already hot and humid, thankfully there was a little cloud cover so that it made it somewhat bearable when we stopped. Although that would change...

As usual the 520 was involved lol and we stopped yet again in Magnetawan at the Lion's Park. At least we parked in a different area and I took several pictures.



I even learned a little history



Leaving the park we headed back along the 520. We then turned on the 510 that also connects to the 124 (Instead of taking the 520 all the way to 124) The 510 didn't have much out there, but the road was paved and decent. 

We travelled into Sundridge and turned off onto Main St. It brings you along the waterfront and there is a nice Waterfront Park on Bernard Lake you could stop at. We didn't... anyway I have been there on my Rebel. So here is where things become a little bit of an "off road adventure" as the BF later called it. We made the turn at Lakeshore Dr, but instead of turning onto S. Lake Bernard Rd - which would have been a nice paved road (see orange X on map above) However, we stayed on Lakeshore Dr. which became Pevensey Rd and then turned into a hard packed gravel road. It wasn't so bad and there were only a couple of cars that we passed, other than that we had the road to ourselves. 

I actually was on that road with my Rebel, and I even got pictures of the little church and of the little one lane bridge that you cross over. Of course not this time with the BF...

We turned onto N. Pickerel Lake Rd, which is still hard packed gravel but easy to ride and very scenic (there are some nice places to stop and take a pic or two if you are so inclined, my BF not so much lol)

When we came to a stop at Berriedale Rd we turned left. Yeah, pavement again lol. It brought us back into Burk's Falls. This way was better as the way I had originally planned it I would have put us back out on hwy 11 to get into Burk's Falls. 

We stopped on Ontario street (across from the Funeral home) there is a small little park, although I don't even know if it had a name. I didn't see one when I was there and looking at google map it doesn't even mention it. Anyway, I discovered Pete the Bear there, a monument dedicated to an orphan bear. 

"Spring 1948 - October 1979 Pete the Bear lived across the street at what was formerly Purdle's Esso, where he became the village's unofficial mascot."

Interesting bit of history I never knew was there and I have passed that little park a ton of times. Glad I found it.


We turned onto Yonge St to take the back way into Kearney. Yonge turns into Chetwynd Rd and it is paved. However I wanted to go along Garage Rd. I swear the last time I was on this road it was paved. Oh well, another hard packed gravel road. Garage Rd comes out on Chetwynd again and unfortunately this is the part of Chetwynd that is, you guessed it, hard packed gravel. At least eventually it becomes pavement all the way into Kearney.

As we got to the Motorcycle show in Kearney parked in front of The Fork on Main. It was a small gathering with a stage and someone singing. There were quite a few people sitting out front of the Fork on Main. It was small show but so humid and hot I didn't want to walk around. I should have at least took a picture of the row of bikes but the heat was really getting to me. We only stayed long enough for the BF had a Sausage on a bun from the Fire Fighters fundraiser. 

Then as we were leaving a woman came up to us and gave us each a beer mug and thanked us for coming. That was so unexpected, thank you so much!

Until next time... Keep on



Cruising Through Life & Enjoying The Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment